NEW BELLOWS FREE ACADEMY
Description of the Handsome Building Now Nearing Completion
(Special to The Messenger.)
Fairfax; December 5, 1903 -- The new structure of the Bellows Free Academy, designed by W. R. R. Wilcox, Burlington, and built by Mason & Co., of the same city, is nearing completion. The building is 128 feet long by 68 feet deep. There are 2 1/2 stories, the material of the walls being brick. Entrance is made from the street through a wide porch and vestibule into a hall from which the classrooms are reached.
On the first floor are two recitation rooms, 17 by 24 feet, three primary class rooms 24 x 24 feet, two music rooms, and one grammar school room 48 x 24 feet. There are also two large teachers' rooms. The basement is reached by a wide staircase and there are two rear entrances to the first floor.
Two stairways connect the second floor where are located the high school room 48 x 30 feet, the biological library 24 x 24 feet, the physical and chemical laboratories, two recitation rooms, a large library, teachers' room, and masters room. Next comes the assembly hall which is 63 x 48 feet in dimension with a large stage and anterooms, this floor contains, beside, two large rooms which are unfinished.
The basement contains the boilers and heating apparatus, toilet rooms, coat rooms, and two apartments to be used as play rooms.
The interior finish of the building is cypress. The structure is lighted by electricity and furnished with every convenience.
The plumbing of the building is being done by the G. S. Blodgett Co. of Burlington which also has the heating and ventilation contract.
The trustees of the building fund under whose direction building was erected, include F. W. Shepardson, J. F. Wilcox, C. A. Hawley, Giles Rugg, and C. H. Brush.